The Return of Christ
End Times Deception – Week 3
“Jesus told them, “Don’t let anyone mislead you, for many will come in my name, claiming, ‘I am the Messiah.’ They will deceive many.”
“And many false prophets will appear and will deceive many people.”
“For false messiahs and false prophets will rise up and perform great signs and wonders so as to deceive, if possible, even God’s chosen ones.”
“The Spirit clearly says that in later times some will abandon the faith and follow deceiving spirits and things taught by demons. Such teachings come through hypocritical liars, whose consciences have been seared as with a hot iron.”
Start talking. Find a conversation starter for your group.
- In good humor, what is the best prank you have pulled off?
- Or, what is the worst prank someone has pulled off on you?
Start thinking. Ask a thoughtful question.
- Read through today’s scriptures before getting into our questions.
- What deceptions are you seeing at work in the world today?
- Why do you think Jesus alluded to the possibility of His own followers being deceived?
- In your own words, describe how you think deception works. Where does it begin? What opens the door? What could lead even a believer to fall into deception?
“Learn to listen to the right voices today so that you will know the voices to listen to tomorrow.”
—Pastor Dave Divine
Start sharing. Choose questions that create openness.
- Have you ever drifted into a deception, only later to be freed from it? What happened? Share your story.
- In what ways can you or will you take authority over the deceptions that are to come, and are even in the world now?
- How do you or have you helped others address and avoid these deceptions? Was it a struggle or do you struggle with it? How come?
Start praying. Be bold, and pray with power.
Father, You are full of truth and full of grace. You are the truth. Help us to fix our eyes and our hearts expectantly on You. Deliver us from temptation and deliver us from evil. For Yours is the kingdom, the power, and the glory forever; and we are yours. Give us the courage to stand when others won’t and to shine your light into the darkness, so that others who have drifted into deception may see Your light and find real life and real freedom. In Jesus’ name, Amen!
Start doing. Commit to a step and live it out this week.
- Examine the voices in your life. Knowing the real thing is the best way to recognize a counterfeit. Evaluate the people, resources, and activities you invest a significant amount of your time into. Do they draw you closer to His Word and to His people? Or, do If they divide and/or confuse you against His Word, His people, or even your own conscience and what you know to be true? If so, take the next step to begin separating yourself from these today?
Download a printable version of this week’s “Talk It Over” – Click Here